Wednesday, January 25, 2012

YOU Have the Power to Control the Speed of Conversation


My auditory therapy for today consisted of two different exercises. For the first exercise, my therapist would say a word sound, such as “S” or “F” or “Ch” and I would have to say a word that started with that sound. So, if my therapist said “Sh”, I would say “Ship” or “Sheet”. For the second exercise, my therapist would read a sentence and I would have to tell her which word seemed off. The word that was off was very similar to what the correct word should have been. For example, “If you are cold, put on a coke.” This is my 3rd therapy session and I am still finding some of these exercises to be quite difficult for me. The second exercise was a little easier than the first since I had some contextual information to help me identify what the correct word. However, I am still having a difficult time differentiating between "g" and "d" sounds as well as between the "s", "f", and "th" sounds. It has only been 3 weeks since I started, so I do have a ways to go! Hopefully with more time and practice this will all become easier...

While chatting with my therapist after our session, she told me something very interesting.  She said that we actually have the ability to control the speed of our conversation. Have you every been around someone who is really laid back and talks really slowly? You can't help but notice that you start to become more relaxed yourself and you will find yourself talking at a slower pace. The opposite is true as well. If you talk quickly, that will boost the adrenalin of those around you leading them to also talk at fast pace. Obviously, someone talking fast is much more difficult to understand than someone who talks slowly. So, she told me that since I tend to talk fast, I should try to make a conscious effort to talk slower. While it does take time, practice, and a conscious effort, this tactic can actually help you better understand in conversations. Amazing! 

No comments:

Post a Comment