Monday, February 13, 2012

Life Since Adjustment

Since my adjustment in December, things got off to a slow start due to being sick and the fluids in my ear, but for the last couple of weeks, things have been getting progressively better! I thought I would take a moment to reflect on how things have generally been going since my readjustment.


Until about 3 weeks ago, I was not able to turn my volume past 7. Every time I tried, I would get high pitched feedback. However, in the last 3 weeks I have been able to make it all the way up to volume 10 and I have to say I am LOVING the volume gain (I want even more!) and cannot express what a difference it makes! After going a month without being able to change the settings, I never thought that I would actually make it to this level! This is very exciting not only because of the volume gain I am getting but also because it means that I am healing and the fluids are starting to drain!


I found that I spend most of my time on the "A" profile, which is considered my "Everyday" setting. I have tried the other settings but this is the most comfortable for me in almost all situations. I am not really crazy about my "C" profile ("Music/TV Watching" setting). I feel like the sound of swallowing is so distracting it is difficult to focus on anything else. When I am on this profile I feel like my ears are going to explode. I have this weird ear popping sensation. It is almost like there is too much base which is making my ear feel lots of pressure. I have not been out too much in the last month, but my "B" profile (i.e., background noise setting) has been pretty great! I found that it works better at bars/clubs where the the loud noise is more constant than when out to dinner at a restaurant. I have actually preferred to stay on the A setting when I am out to eat.


I found that I am finally starting to gain some of the distant noises I have been wanting. I actually attended a lecture for work which took place in a large classroom. I was seated towards the back right and heard every word except when I was thinking about how surprised I was to actually be hearing!  So, I guess I missed a few parts but more of an attention issue than a hearing issue. However, this is still not "perfect". At the end of the lecture, there was Q and A. I did have trouble understanding other peoples' questions. It is weird that some voices can sound so loud, while others are too quiet. I wonder if something like this can be addressed in my next adjustment or if this is just the nature of speech?

Since my readjustment, I feel that I take much more notice to the sound of walking. Shoes hitting the floor. Legs rubbing together. I feel like I make such a commotion when I am walking around my office that it makes me want to tiptoe sometimes. Since our production room is right by my office, I have found myself very distracted by the sound of the printer. I often get so distracted that I have to close my door. Also, I noticed that the heat vents in my office make a squeaky noise when they are on and running. Not to say that I am not grateful but it is crazy how I never noticed this before because it can be quite annoying...

I feel like the dishwasher in our home gets increasingly loud every time I turn up my Esteem device. Being on volume 10, I found the dishwasher so loud that one time, I started yelling at my husband to stop using his electric saw in the basement. I was so confused! The sound was so loud that I thought it sounded like someone using heavy machinery. haha. 


I haven't been able to wear sun glasses for almost 6 months since the side of my head is still a bit tender when I put pressure against it. When I tried them out this week, I realized that it doesn't hurt anymore!

Well, that is all I can think of at the moment! 

No comments:

Post a Comment