Thursday, November 3, 2011

Sounds of the Night

There are generally so many noises at night, that I do not know how I ever slept before my implant. My nights used to be so quiet and peaceful and now they are filled with noise. And lots of it. How do people sleep at night with all of this noise!!

  • Squeaky noises of the mattress
  • The bed banging against the wall as we toss and turn in our sleep
  • Our heating system turning on and off throughout the night
  • Rufus getting up in the middle of the night to drink water (and sometimes to go to sleep in the basement. This dog is ALL over the place at night - my husband says this is normal but I had no clue)
  • My hubby breathing loudly (found out that he is NOT a snorer... thank god!)
  • Car doors slamming
  • Rufus barking early in the morning so we will let him outside

I sure hope these noises become more commonplace because I am having a very difficult time sleeping at night. Don't get me wrong, I am totally loving this, but, a girl has got to get her beauty rest. :)


This morning, the craziest thing happened. Well not crazy but it totally scared the heck out of me. At about 5 am, I was awaken by this loud crashing noise and literally flung up in bed. "What the heck was that?", I thought to myself. Right now in my hearing journey, I am having a lot of difficulty with directionality of sound. When I hear something, I am not always sure where or from whom the sound is coming from. I started shaking Fras, but trying to wake that boy up is a lost cause sometimes so I just got up and started to walk around. There it was again! This was going to bug the heck out of me if I didn't find out what was going on. 


I went into our second bedroom which opens up to our deck and backyard. I opened the french doors and Rufus flew past me towards the fence that separates our backyard from the alley behind our house. My eyes followed him as he pranced through the yard and started barking. It was the garbage truck emptying a weeks worth of garbage. Can you believe that? Since I am not able to sleep with my hearing aids in, I had very little hearing during the night and upon waking up in the morning. I cannot even remember the last time that I heard this noise so loud and clear. Amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment