Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Life is YOUR Choice

I have to say that the last year of my life has been quite a struggle. Hell, the last 6 month in itself of learning to hear again has been a spiraling journey of ups and downs. There are days that I feel on top of the world and others that make me want to just give up on this journey all together. While my implant has given me hope and improved my hearing on so many levels (and hopefully many more to come!), I do still have my "I cant hear very well" days where everything seems a blur. 

Sometimes when things do not seem to go right in our lives, we attribute our feelings to the situations in our life. And rightfully so... We wouldn't have to deal with the situation at all if life didn't throw it at us while we weren't even looking, right? While we may not be able to choose our life circumstances or how we initially feel about certain things that happen in our life, we DO have a choice about how we react to these unforeseen situations and how we let them affect how we live our lives and our overall happiness. 

Obviously, feeling sad, frustrated, angry, or depressed doesn’t feel good, so when it comes down to it, we have to ask ourselves, is it worth it? Is it so important that it is worth holding onto this negative energy? Letting it ruin your day? Letting it make you feel upset? No, it is certainly not! 

Yes, it is frustrating that I have to wake up every morning as a hearing impaired individual and go through my day wondering if I will be able to hear people or not. Yes, it is not fair that I have to live with a hearing disability, while I see friends my age being able to so effortlessly and happily live their life. I hate more than anything that it is difficult for me to keep in touch with and communicate with my loved ones. Sometimes I get SO mad at God when things get difficult. Why me?

However, what I have learned is that by holding onto this negative energy, the only person you are hurting is yourself. By being jealous of someone else's life or by being frustrated when you cannot hear someone, you are only hurting YOU! These feelings are truly a waste of energy that could be used to feel good about something. So, stop honing in on the negative, and boost up all the positive things that are happening in your life right now!

Always keep in mind that while you cannot control the crappy life circumstances that are thrown at you, you can control the level you take it too. If you take the time to explore whatever it is you are feeling, you will be able to better understand yourself, which will make it easier to learn from and let go of the negative experience that may be holding you back. With hardship comes growth, but only if we take the opportunity to learn from lifes' happenings. By focusing on the lesson instead of the struggle, we are bound to become wiser and happier individuals...

No comments:

Post a Comment