Saturday, March 31, 2012

2nd Readjustment Scheduled!

I was supposed to go to Chicago to have my second Esteem readjustment and to meet with my surgeon, Dr. Marzo, to have him check up on everything to make sure I was healing properly. However, some unforeseen circumstances arose and I, unfortunately, had to cancel my trip at the last minute. Since things are still a bit crazy around here, I will probably not be able to get to Chicago until July. So, I decided to just have Michelle, my Esteem Engineer, come to Denver for a readjustment. Envoy is very booked right now so the soonest they were able to get out here is April 23rd (a month and a half after my originally scheduled appointment!).


While I am very very excited for my readjustment, I am also very nervous since I did not get very much gain from my last adjustment because of the fluids in my ear. I am hoping since I will have had 5 months to heal that I will be able to get the gain that I am look for. It is really strange because when you first get adjusted (or when you turn up the volume on the remote) everything seems so loud and great!  But as time goes on, you get used to hearing at this level; things just sort of level out a little bit. Right now, I have been at the top volume for the last 3 weeks so I REALLY need a little more UMPH! and I hope that I am able to get that from my appointment in April. I also really hope that my tone and test scores go up as well! Fingers crossed! X (that "X" is supposed to be me crossing my fingers.. just in case you were wondering).


I have to say that it is crazy how dependent I am becoming on my Esteem ear. When my implant was first activated, I relied much more on my hearing aid since that is what I was used to but now, I am very dependent on my Esteem. There have been times when I feel like I am completely deaf in my hearing aided ear (because the sound in my Esteem is so great!) and I often have to check to make sure that it is actually on and didn't run out of batteries or something. And yes, it is always on... Seeing how much more I am hearing out of my Esteem as time goes on make me want to have my other ear implanted SO badly. I hope like hell insurance companies start covering this device soon. As of now, my insurance company, Great West Cigna, still considers middle ear implants as "experimental".  They also consider the Esteem to be like a "hearing aid"... Man, these insurance companies need to get their facts straight because, in my opinion, FDA approval does not qualify as "experimental" and this device is NOTHING like a hearing aid! I mean, I wish that each and every one of them could actually experience having a severe loss of hearing because I do not think that any of them could last a day in our shoes. Hell, they probably couldn't even last an hour... I think if they knew what it felt like to struggle in every day conversation that they would be pushing much more for the coverage of hearing.


Well, enough of that... I am going to go enjoy this beautiful sunny Denver day and get my tan on! and maybe enjoying a few mimosas as well! Happy Saturday! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment