Tuesday, December 27, 2011

A Survival Guide for New Deafies! (GREAT BOOK)

My husband got me a Kindle for Christmas and I found the most amazing book! It is called A Survival Guide for New Deafies! and is specifically written for people who suffer from late on-set hearing loss, LIKE ME!

It is a short book (only 39 pages) and took me about 30 minutes to read. It is one of those books that I will read over and over again whenever I am feeling down about myself or am unable to hear something; very inspiring. If you are suffering from hearing loss and are having a difficult time accepting it as your reality, then I definitely suggest you read this. It is also a great book for family and friends of Deafies to read so that they can understand the struggle we face and how to react to your situation.

Here are the "rules" that are outlined in this book:
  • Always have a sense of humor about your hearing loss
  • Never Apologize for being a Deafie! NEVER!
  • Be honst about your new Deafie status to old and new friends, family, and associates 
  • Learn all modes of communication
  • Stay social!
  • Understand your hearing loss
  • Allow for only small moments of self pity!!
  • Beware of non-believers
Just thought I would share this piece of inspiration to anyone out there struggling with hearing loss! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment